Situated amidst the natural beauty of Los Peñasquitos Canyon Preserve – a 4,100-acre San Diego landmark – The Grand Del Mar is sensitive to the importance of respecting our environment. As our resort evolves, we continue to implement a variety of green efforts.
Creating a Green Resort
- Upon arrival, guests may choose to participate in our green guestroom program, which includes the re-use of linen and towels.
- We operate a resort-wide recycling program in partnership with the Urban Corps of San Diego.This locally-based nonprofit organization provides job training and educational opportunities in the fields of conservation, recycling and community service to young adults, who are often high school dropouts with little or no job training.
- The resort was built per Title 24 using the most energy-efficient lighting available, including compact fluorescent, high-efficiency light bulbs in all guestrooms and corridors. The Grand Del Mar is the only hotel in San Diego to receive a 2009 San Diego Gas & Electric Energy Showcase Award nomination.
- Our housekeeping team closes blinds and turns off lights and heating/air conditioning when rooms are not in use.
- A linen re-use program is available for meeting space over the duration of an event.
- Recycling bins for meeting space and catered functions are available, and our team recycles any recyclable materials left in meeting rooms.
- Upon request, we provide water in pitchers instead of individual bottles and avoid prefilling water glasses at banquet tables.
- We use china, glass, cloth and cutlery instead of paper or plastic service ware.
- When available, our food and beverage team uses organic, local, in-season, fair trade and sustainable food products, including seafood from sustainable fisheries and organic, free-range chicken. Vegetarian and vegan selections are also available upon request.
- The resort employs a chemical-free dry cleaning methodthat is a natural, non-hazardous alternative to the more common perchloroethylene dry cleaning operations.
Preserving Our Natural Setting
- The resort utilizes an organic fertilization program for the landscaping, including the 380-acre golf course at The Grand Golf Club.
- We create our own bark/mulch for landscaping out of tree and scrub prunings and other recycled green waste. This encourages weed suppression and moisture retention for the added benefit of lower water usage.
- In order to limit the possibility of downstream contamination – especially important, as our location is a mere five miles from the Pacific Ocean – we have a three-acre lake that contains all of the resort’s water runoff.
- Our team maintains and protects wetland and native re-vegetation areas through a variety of efforts, including seasonal plantings in the surrounding nature preserve.
- To minimize over-watering, we irrigate using a weather station that provides the Evaporation-Transpiration rate and monitor water needs on the golf greens with moisture sensors.
- The resort uses a filtration system to capture all solids and treat all liquids in maintenance facility wash stations.
- Our maintenance team utilizes zero-emission carts, and The Grand Golf Club’s fleet features the energy-efficient “Precedent i2” golf carts by Club Car.